Thursday, August 13, 2015

Horchow Inspired Dresser

Good morning blog land!
I've been a busy little bee these last couple of weeks with family stuff but I did manage to paint a few pieces of furniture.

It's seriously my therapy and how I relax after a busy day!

Here's the back story on this piece...

A few weeks ago I was on Craigslist and I came across this piece.  I actually blogged about it {here}.
It was $100 and local so it was a no-brainer.
Well, not really!
I have a garage full of furniture and if I brought another piece home....
well, let's just say that wouldn't be a good idea.

I knew exactly where I wanted this piece to go.  I wanted it to replace this buffet that I had.
There was nothing wrong with it, it was functional and served its purpose but I wasn't loving it anymore.

It was the first piece I had every painted using milk paint.  It was done in Miss Mustard Seed's Artisimo.
I listed the piece on a local Facebook site that sells home goods.  It sold within hours for $200.
Yes!
That was the green light I needed to purchase this Craigslist piece I had been wanting!

Here's the before...




I love the shape of it and all the intricate details and I even toyed with the idea of just leaving it in it's current state.
even with all the imperfections...
But after living with it for a couple of weeks, I came to the realization that it needed to be lightened up.  It was just too dark and it was competing with my hardwood floors.

Choosing what color to paint it was difficult.
I knew I wanted to stay neutral but I didn't want to paint it white and I didn't want it to be brown...
Then I came across this nightstand from Horchow!
Wow!
It was the inspiration I needed.
The Estelline 3-drawer nightstand!
Retails for $1,199.00!  Yikes!

Out came the Americana Decor chalk paint in yesteryear.

I watered down the paint to do a wash on the piece.
I painted it on and then wiped it off with a paper towel.
Once it was dry I heavily distressed it and then applied a tinted glaze that was part relic chalk paint, brown craft paint and glaze.

I know my ways are so unconventional!!!  

I played with that too....
applying the glaze and then wiping some off.
I saturated the glaze on the detailed areas.

And here she is!
My beautiful Horchow inspired dresser/buffet.



















My piece is a little grayer than my inspiration.
I love how it turned out!
Let me know what you think.  :)

Here is the before and after one more time.

Thanks for stopping by!
See you tomorrow.
xoxo
Delilah
























No comments:

Post a Comment