Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Desk/Hutch Before & After

My best friend was selling her desk/hutch that had been sitting in her garage unused for months.  She asked me if I'd be interested and when I saw this beauty I snatched it up!  
 
 It had lots of scratches and wasn't in the best of shape but it was a solid beautiful piece and that's why I decided to take on the task of transforming it!
 
Boy was it a LOT OF WORK!!
 
Here's the before...
(sorry for the poor picture quality, I took these with my cell phone!)

The top half opens down to reveal a desk top.
 
These are the products I used.
 
STEP 1
I started by thoroughly cleaning the piece.  I often use Clorox wipes to wipe down whatever piece I'm getting ready to paint....
 
STEP 2
I made sure the piece was dry and then I applied 1 coat of Americana chalk paint in Treasure.  By the time I had finished the entire piece, the first part I had started painting was already dry!  Definitely one of the things I love about chalk paint. I lightly sanded the piece and again cleaned it, this time with a dry towel just to remove the dust from the sanding.
 
STEP 3
Next I mixed some milk paint from the Milk Paint Co. in French Gray and applied one coat over the entire piece.  Let that dry and then applied another light coat of the milk paint.
 
STEP 4
I then lightly sanded the entire piece.  I do this on almost every piece I paint.  I feel it really blends the colors I've painted and I also love the distressed look it leaves in the areas I sand more.
 
STEP 5
I vacuum the entire piece riding it of any dust left behind from sanding and then I again clean my piece for one last time before applying the wax. For this final cleaning I usually use a damp rag, careful not to lift any of the paint.
 
STEP 6
Finally, I applied white wax over the entire piece, concentrating the wax (Vintage Market & Design soft wax in White Silk) in the crevices & details of the piece.  I usually let the wax sit for about 20 minutes before buffing it with a white T-shirt or Cheesecloth (whatever I happen to have on hand!).
 
And without further ado....
 
Here she is all finished!
 
 
She's sitting on a dolly so those aren't her wheels!  :)
I love how she turned out.  She reminds me of an old pair of worn jeans.
The pictures don't do her justice!!
 
 
This beautiful desk/hutch now sits in my kitchen.  I use her to store recipe books, serving dishes, place mats, etc...  I'll try and remember to take some pictures of the inside so you can see how I transformed that as well.
Have a blessed day!
~Delilah

2 comments: