Monday, March 19, 2018

Rome wasn't built in a day

If I were to give you my best design advice it would be, Rome wasn't built in a day!
So many people think that their house has to be perfect right now!  It doesn't!  It takes time not only to figure out your style but to implement it also. 









I love a home that has a story to tell.  The living room has Nana's hutch where all of the blankets are stored.  The kitchen is filled with all of the beautiful white ironstone that you've collected over time.  The guest bedroom has your favorite quilt draped over the bed that your best friend made you....

I love looking back at my own home and seeing all of the ways each room has evolved over time.
Is my home perfect?  Far from it...but I love all of the little details I've been able to add throughout the years.




One way to infuse your design style in your home is through furniture.






This is one of the first pieces of furniture I bought and then painted.  It was cute and it served it's purpose.  The two pictures on the wall came with our house when we bought it.  They're pretty...but over time I started to develop my style.








I bought this dresser from Craigslist and completely transformed it.  You can read all about that transformation here.  Isn't it crazy how a piece of furniture can transform a space??  On a side note: I sold that blue cabinet for the same amount of money that I spent on this dresser.  So this transformation was basically FREE!  What I love about this transformation is that not only was it in my budget... lol but it is also so much truer to what my design taste is.  This change happened in 2015 and three years later I still very much love this dresser!











Another way to add big impact in your home with little cost is PAINT! 

Beware though that once you paint you start to really consider what you had on your walls and if they are going to make it back onto your wall!  That's what happened with this space and that is when the hunt for the perfect art for above the dresser began.






I settled on this mirror I purchased on Craigstlist.  This mirror is another piece I LOVE.  I feel like it really fits the space so perfectly.  I love all of the beautiful carvings and detail.  I love that it's a beautiful silver/gold.  I love that it is reflective and makes the space look bigger.
 



Here's a reminder of what it looked like just the previous year during the 2015 Christmas tour that you can check out here.



Accessories are another great way to personalize your space.


You don't have to change it out every season like I do...but just adding pictures, candles and other decor can really help bring your space or vignette to life!





All week I'm going to be sharing some of the spaces in my home and how I've transformed them in the last 4 years.

Remember to subscribe to my blog as that is the best way to stay connected!


As always, thanks for stopping by and remember...

xoxo
Delilah







































No comments:

Post a Comment