Thursday, March 8, 2018

The "Vintage" Hutch

Remember that one time I said I had the blues?
No?  Well, you can read all about it in this post!


Today I'm going to share the transformation of this cabinet/hutch that I'm calling Vintage.  The paint color I used on it is called Vintage...so there you go!









The Back story:
I had to be talked into buying this piece.  Seriously!  When I went to pick it up it was in horrible shape.  The body of it was in tact, it was just extremely dirty.  Like I didn't want to touch it dirty!  The seller dropped the price so incredibly low that I couldn't refuse it.










The Bath:
I don't usually take my pieces out in the freezing cold and give them a bath but there was no other option with this guy.  He needed a good scrub and there was just no other way than with some good ol' fashion hose and soap action on the lawn!  I'm not exaggerating when I say, I almost needed a tetanus shot after this guy!

















The Before:
He cleaned up so nicely.  It's amazing what a little elbow grease can do to a piece.  The shelf inside of the cabinet was cracked but nothing a little wood glue couldn't fix.















I lined the drawers with scrapbook paper and mod podge.







The Process:
I applied two coats of chalk paint onto the piece and then went back and touched up some areas with a 3rd coat.
I applied clear wax and buffed it to seal it.
I sprayed the hardware silver and used new nobs for some of the drawers.  Unfortunately, some of the original hardware was missing.  I actually like the whimsical look the new nobs give the piece.




The After:
Aw, I'm so happy with how this piece turned out.  He was like this little homeless kid that now has been given a shower, haircut and new clothes!  He's styling!


The finish is silky smooth.  Quite a transformation from when I first laid eyes on it and was afraid to touch it!






















The paint did some crackling and grazing in some areas on its own.  I get that affect sometimes when I use Milk Paint but not usually when I use Chalk Paint.  That was a fun surprise.












Here's a side by side comparison of the before and after.  Crazy right?  This is one of those times where paint does wonders for a piece.









This piece only lasted a couple of days in the Co Op.  It's going to be loved by a new family.  Hopefully, for many, many years!







Thanks for stopping by!  I love sharing these transformations with you!


xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment