Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The "Denim" Cabinet

I've been having a hard time bringing myself to blog with everything that is going on in California with our fires.  I live approximately 80 miles south of the Napa area and to say that this has hit close to home is an understatement.
Thank you to everyone that has donated their time and money to help with this devastation.
Please continue to pray for the lives that this has affected.


A couple of months ago I came across this little cabinet on Craigslist.  I wish I would have kept a picture of it in its original state but I didn't.
It was a reddish brown wood color.  Not very pretty.
What attracted me to it where its turned legs and carvings.
I talked the seller down to a decent price because it had been listed for a long time with no bites.

I brought it home and it just sat in my garage for days....
until finally inspiration struck!



 This is a piece from pottery barn and I love how it resembles denim to me.  That's the inspiration I needed to get started on the cabinet.

I did a search on Pinterest to see if there were any pieces painted with a denim look and I came across the above kitchen cabinets.  I used both pictures above as my inspiration for the cabinet.

I started out by first painting the piece with a navy blue latex paint I had on hand.
It took two coats to get the full coverage I was after.

I then spray painted (yes spray painted) the carvings and edges of the piece as well as the turned legs with gold spray paint.

I went over the piece with one coat of Miss Mustard Seed's artissimo milk paint and then heavily distressed it with 220 grit sand paper.
I sealed it with Miss Mustard seed's Tough Coat.

Here she is all finished!
I love how the gold is peeking through.
Doesn't she look like your favorite pair of faded jeans?

It's silky smooth to the touch.  These pictures truly don't do it justice.

I left the inside original.  I wiped it down with some hemp oil and that really revived the wood.



I really want to keep this piece but I don't have a place for it.  (big sigh)
I staged it with a few fall pieces.

Speaking of Fall... my home is decorated and ready for Fall!  I'm hoping to get pictures taken and will be sharing my Fall Home Tour soon.

The "Denim" cabinet is currently for sale at the Rancho Co-Op where I'm a vendor.

Thanks for stopping by!
xoxo
Delilah















No comments:

Post a Comment