Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Gray/White-Washed Dresser that had me Smitten

It's the end of February!!  How did that happen?
I've been painting and painting and painting...


I have a new finished piece to share with you today!! 





But first...Someone recently asked me why I love painting and revamping furniture.  You might be wondering the same thing, so I thought I would share my answer with you.



There are so many things I like about painting and revamping furniture.


  1. I like the hunt!  I like searching through websites such as Craigslist, FB's Marketplace, LetGo and OfferUp to name a few... I also like looking through 2nd hand stores and garage sales too!  The hunt is one of the best parts for me.  I feel like I've found treasure when I find a piece that someone no longer has use for. 
  2. I like recycling.  Someones trash is truly someone elses treasure.  When I see a piece that has been abandoned, thrown on a curb, no longer loved, I find it a wonderful opportunity to breath some life into it.  I pour a little love, sweat and sometimes tears into it and give it a second chance.  It's so rewarding for me to see a piece come to life again.
  3. There's something really special about vintage pieces.  I love the curves, the dovetail drawers, the solid wood(no particle board please!!) They just don't make furniture today like they used to.  Ikea has NOTHING on a good vintage piece of furniture.
  4. The rock bottom bargain prices.  I don't pay a lot for my pieces which allows me to upcycle them and offer them to my customers at an affordable price.
  5. I'm helping the environment.  If you purchase a recycled piece you are helping the environment.  One less tree to cut down to make a new piece of furniture!
These are just a few of the reasons why I love painting and revamping furniture, thanks for asking!!!  :)


So without further ado...


Here is one of the dressers I finished this month. 





It lasted in my booth 2 days y'all!!! 


When I finished painting it my family was trying to convince me to keep it and put it somewhere in our home.  :)  That's always a sweet compliment.  To be honest, it is hard to part with some of the pieces after I've put so much time and love into them!  However, it's rewarding to think of another family getting to enjoy it for years to come!





I loved the lines of this piece and that is what attracted me to it.  Oh and that it was FREE!  Yes, people, FREE!  Grateful for my aunt that alerted me to it!!  Whew, I love it when my friends and family are looking out for me!


It has the most beautiful hardware that I painted white.




Insert heart eyes...
That faux key-hole detail is gorgeous!!







The rope detailing on the handles had me smitten!


Okay, what did I do? 
This piece was in rough shape.  It had really deep scratches and nicks so I had to sand it down for a smooth finish.  I had planned to stain the top but it just wasn't taking the stain so I had to paint it instead.  I painted it with 3 coats of Americana Decor Chalk paint in Everlasting.  I lightly sanded between each coat to achieve a silky smooth finish.


The body and face received 3 coats of paint:
The first 2 coats of paint were in Americana Decor Chalk paint Yesteryear.
Once the paint was dry I lightly sanded the piece and did a white wash over it with Americana Decor Chalk paint in Everlasting.
I sealed it with Miss Mustard Seed's Tough Coat.

Here's a picture of the inside.
I normally don't paint the inside of a piece but this piece needed it so I gave it 2 coats of paint with Americana Decor Chalk paint in Everlasting.

 

Here's a reminder of the BEFORE


And AFTER



Isn't she pretty?  You can see why she only lasted 2 days in my booth at the Rancho Co Op!


Thanks for stopping by.
Have a blessed day.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment