Monday, August 22, 2016

Learning to say no

 
 

 
 I love that Meghan Trainor song NO.
 
My name is "No"
My sign is "No"
My number is "No"
You need to let it go...
 
It's cute, it's catchy and fun.
We're not talking about dating today though...
 
I tend to let me life get CRAZY busy.
It's no ones fault but my own.

 
Don't get me wrong.  I like to be busy.
But, CRAZY BUSY is never fun.  Do you know what I mean?
Busy as in you have to schedule time to do laundry because there's never a free moment and if you don't schedule it you might run out of clean underwear busy!

 
A few months ago we received a reminder that it was time to register for football.  We wanted to confirm with Brayden that he wanted to play football this coming Fall season before we registered him.  So we asked him and his response was an emphatic, "No!"
Dad was surprised, I was relieved.... (entirely different subject that we won't get into now..)
We asked him why he didn't want to play and he explained that it takes a lot of his time and he misses out on doing some of the other things he loves more like fishing, riding his dirt bike and hanging out with his friends.
 
Out of the mouths of babes...


 
Similarly, my daughter decided this last Spring that she wasn't going to try out for her High School's cheer team for the upcoming school year.  I was surprised when she said that and asked her why.  Her response was similar.  She said that cheering her Freshman year was fun and all but she wasn't able to explore other sports and extra curricular activities because it monopolized her time.
 
I love that these kids realize how precious and valuable their time is.
It's a lesson I've been slower to learn.


 
Because the kids have decided not to participate in any sports this Fall, I've also decided to say "No" to any extra curricular activities.
We are going to see what it feels like to not have to be somewhere every single weekend!
 
I don't even know what that is going to look like, but I'm giddy with excitement!
I'll keep you posted!
 
What about you?  Are there some areas in your life where you are needing to say "No?"
I'm hoping you are inspired to covet your time for the most important things in your life.





 
xoxo
Delilah

No comments:

Post a Comment